Sunday, April 9, 2017

Coconut almond cake

It was only 9:30 last night and it was already unusually quiet in our household. Two of my kids were feeling under the weather and went to bed early.  Grandson Lachie was likewise asleep.  My daughter went to a birthday party and my husband was on night shift at work.  It was just me and my eldest son and he was on his computer (as usual) in his bedroom.  I was practically alone and it was my chance to do some cake recipe sharing! Only on my first paragraph in, I decided that I was actually too tired and chose to lie down instead! But...a promise is a promise. I am back today to do just what I need to do 😙!

The idea for the cake I am about to share came from this...

Image credit: Ferrero website

The truth is, I am not really fond of any chocolate with coconut.  If not for my brother in-law bringing a box of Raffaellos to our house about a year ago, I wouldn't have thought of buying them myself. After trying one, however, I was instantly hooked! I loved it so much that after they had left, I hid the leftovers from my family so I could have them all to myself 😋!

I later found out that Raffaellos do not actually contain chocolate! It is described to be a crispy wafer with a creamy, coconut filling and a whole almond in the center. 

Image credit: Pinterest

I thought of making this flavour combination into cake almost immediately after I first tasted this treat.  Thus was born my coconut-almond cake! I decided to go with a coconut chiffon with an almond pastry cream filling, frosted with a coconut Swiss meringue buttercream.



I must admit this cake is not for everyone. My boys aren't much into coconut so I gave away about half of this cake so as not to waste it.  If you are a coconut lover though or at least a fan of Raffaellos, you definitely would want to try this!  

COCONUT ALMOND (Raffaello-inspired) CAKE


FOR THE COCONUT CHIFFON CAKE (recipe suitable for an 8” round, 3” high pan)

{A}
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons white sugar

{B}
¼ cup corn/canola oil
4 egg yolks, from large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup coconut milk
½ teaspoon coconut extract

{C}
4 eggwhites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

{D}
6 tablespoons white sugar

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large bowl, combine {A} well. Add in {B}. Beat with electric mixer or by hand until smooth and well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, beat {C} on high speed until frothy. Gradually add in the sugar {D} and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Gradually and gently fold in egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Pour batter into an ungreased 8” round, 3” high pan.
4. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan into wire rack immediately and cool completely.
5. To release cake from pan, carefully run a thin knife around sides of pan and invert cake onto a large serving plate. 

FOR THE  ALMOND PASTRY CREAM 

1 ¼ cups whole milk
3 egg yolks
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon almond extract

In a small saucepan, heat 1 1/8 cups of the milk over low heat just until it starts to simmer. While the milk is heating, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, cornstarch and the remaining 1/8 cup of milk in a small jug.  Once the milk is ready, add half of it, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture. Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk while constantly stirring. Continue cooking until mixture is very thick, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat then stir in the almond extract. Transfer to a bowl and cover the surface directly with cling film.  Chill the pastry cream completely before using to fill cake. 

FOR THE COCONUT SMBC

1 recipe Swiss meringue buttercream
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/3 cup coconut milk

Prepare SMBC as instructed here  but use coconut extract instead of vanilla.  Beat in the coconut milk to the SMBC gradually.

FOR THE GARNISHING

1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
12 Ferrero Raffaello treats

To assemble and decorate cake: Cut your coconut chiffon cake in half horizontally.  Place the top layer, cut side up on your cake board.  Fill a piping bag fitted with a coupler only with some buttercream then pipe a dam around the cake edge.  Whisk your chilled pastry cream until the consistency becomes creamy again then fill the space inside the dam with it.  Top with the other cake layer, cut side down.  Frost the whole cake with the buttercream.  

Press the coconut flakes around the cake sides.  Garnish the top with Raffaellos.  




PS.  I don't have step by step photos as with my earlier cake recipes because I never actually intended to share this here.  I didn't take photos while I was making the cake. But you do get the idea, don't you? I hope so!

6 comments:

  1. I want to make this too, but not everyone at home is a fan of coconut in desserts. Actually, it's my mom only, but her opinion is worth three times more than everyone else's. Even so, I'll still make this cake. Do you think using coconut cream in place of coconut milk will make the cake more sensitive to the touch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by "sensitive to the touch"?

      I think it is ok to use coconut cream.

      Delete
  2. Hi ms. Corinne what can i substitute for the coconut extract?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have coconut extract, try using coconut cream instead of coconut milk to make the flavour more intense.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing new recipes Corinne😊I would definitely try this soon as I love anything with coconuts😘.I hope you could share the most moist and melt in your mouth chocolate cake recipe here.I only trust your cake recipes especially when it comes to the taste and sweetness😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corine , maybe you can help me make a cake roll. Im new in baking. looking forward for your cake roll recipes

    ReplyDelete