Saturday, April 5, 2014

Flower basket cake

Sometime ago, I watched this video (most likely in YouTube) in which Buddy Valastro, the Cake Boss, said that he thinks in a few years' time, no one will be using buttercream to frost cakes anymore.  With all due respect, I don't think he knew what he was talking about!  He is a big advocate of fondant but obviously, fondant is not for everyone, me included.  Instead of losing its popularity, it looks like buttercream is in fact making a big comeback!  These days, buttercream-frosted cakes have turned into intricate, sophisticated works of art, just as fondant-covered cakes are.

Because of this, I have made it my goal to improve on my piping skills and take buttercream art more seriously.  Today, I practiced on flower and basketweave piping!

I wanted to place more flowers on the bottom but made the mistake of using a small cake board so there was no space for them!  The sunflower looks out of place, doesn't it?


This is just a small, three-layered, 6" cake but boy, did I have to make a lot of buttercream!  I am not a big fan of crusting buttercream for the simple reason that it is too sweet.  I frosted and filled the cake with my usual Swiss meringue buttercream but made the roses and sunflowers using a classic buttercream with half butter, half high ratio shortening and icing sugar as this is more stable for piping.

Next time, I will use a more dense cake as the weight of the flowers seemed too much for the top layer of my chiffon cake!


It took me a few hours to get this cake done but I did have fun practicing!  My basketweave still needs a little work plus I know I should learn how to better arrange flowers.  Overall though, I was happy with the outcome.  Just the burst of colours was enough to make me smile!


I hope to apply another buttercream-related skill on a cake next week. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to do something really nice for Easter.  

Till then, you all have great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. very elegant Corinne i really like it.. just wondering what is the recipe for basic buttercream.. thanks a lot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was referring to an American buttercream - one with butter and/or shortening, powdered sugar and a little milk or water.

      Delete
  2. Corinne, truly your talent always astounds me! You are so clever.
    Catherine - Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter what you say, Corinne you are so good in cake decorating. This basket cake is really pretty. ~Mela~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi corrine. Been browsing your blog for 3 daysnow and you made me love chiffon cakes:) i'm also into baking,both for my family as well as a sideline. Most of my cake orders are chocolate moist,red velvet and carrot-walnut cakes/cupcakes..

    I made your Caramel Cake 2 days ago and my whole family and my officemates loves it!!!! yes,chiffon cake is not that expensive,ingredient wise but the effort and the energy of beating and folding the egg whites was a new thing for me..

    I will definitely be including chiffon based cakes in my "repertoire" this time...thank you so much corrine for your generous heart to share your very delicious chiffon recipes :)

    Rochelle - Cagayan de Oro, Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilang cups po ng frosting ang ginamit nyo para sa cake na 'to?

    ReplyDelete