Monday, August 1, 2011

6 Ladies and red velvet cake

Three weekends ago, my sister in-law (let's call  her Lady #1), asked me to make a red velvet cake for an 18th birthday.  She said the birthday girl loved budgies and that it would be great to have that represented on the cake.

I loved the pastel colours on this cake!
Cute yellow budgies, aren't they?
The celebrant's mum, Lady #2, brought leftover cake to a second gathering the next day.  Lady #3, who was at that gathering, got to taste the cake and she loved it.  She emailed me to order another red velvet cake for her husband's 50th birthday the following Sunday.

The cake top was rather simple but I think the red velvet cake crumbs brightened it up.
A few days later, I received another email, this time from Lady #4.  She asked if, by any chance, I made a red velvet cake for someone's birthday the past weekend.  I told her about the 50th birthday.  Apparently, Lady #3's sister in-law, Lady #5, is her workmate and  Lady #5 brought cake to work the Monday after the birthday and she got to eat some. Lady #4's daughter's 4th birthday was coming up and she thought of having red velvet cake (again) and cupcakes for the party (which was last Saturday).  

The 4th birthday party had a princess theme.
The birthday girl wore a Cinderella costume. 
Used the vine from the Wilton pattern press set to make the decorations for the side of the cake.
The matching cupcakes.
In an entirely separate incident, a 6th lady ordered a purple yam cake from me for Sunday (yesterday).  Funny thing, it turns out, Lady #5 and Lady #6 are best friends. When she told Lady #5 that she ordered a cake from somewhere and was picking it up, Lady #5 asked where.  When Lady #6 mentioned our suburb, Lady #5 said, "That's Corinne, isn't it?  You should have ordered red velvet!"

Confusing???  To tell you the truth, I don't even know most of these ladies. It's such a small world.  It just amazes me how word gets around. And  I'm just ecstatic to know how my humble cakes speak for themselves.

Red velvet seems to make the world go round, doesn't it?

11 comments:

  1. OMG these are just gorgeous...you are such a clever and talented girl.....hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting chain of customers:) I guess that the word had gotten out that you make fantastic cakes and clearly, people are talking about it!!! I just love red velvet cake:) Yours are too pretty to eat, though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cakes are beautiful! You have such talent. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i'm shai

    your page is super cool! i've never seen or read any recipe sites that is so real as this..

    i'm a frustrated baker.. too bad that here in denmark doesn't have much choices in terms of good ingredients..

    i will surely try your *sweets* ..especially the ube macapuno cake. ;)

    i hope to see more inspirations.. more power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thank you so much for sharing your talent, by the way your cakes looks so yummy, I've tried your ube cake and so delicious. I just would like to ask how to make a Swiss meringue buttercream, I do hope u keep on sharing and more power. God bless you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipe for Swiss meringue buttercream can be found here:
    http://pinoyinoz.blogspot.com/2011/04/mocha-chiffon-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Corrine,

    I tried the Swiss Meringue twice now, but it seems it doesn't come together after adding the butter. Can't use it for piping. Would it be the amount of butter i add? How many grams of butter in a cup? Coz we buy them at 125gms from coles or aldi. May i know how much you put in?

    Thanks and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Butter at Coles or Aldi or anywhere else in Australia for that matter are at 250 grams a bar (not 125 grams). A cup of butter is usually around 225 grams but I use the whole bar anyway when a cup is needed.

    When making Swiss meringue buttercream, just keep on beating longer and it should come together. I have been using this buttercream (with the recipe I posted somewhere in this blog) and I've never failed with it. I use soft butter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Do you mind sharing your red velvet cake recipe? I read in the other comments that you dont use the one posted in your blog. Thanks! Btw, I've been baking cookies and cream cake and cupcakes! Love them! But I want to try your red velvet! =) I baked ube macapuno twice, the first one was dry and didnt rise (I think its because of the baking soda I used.) The second was way better =) Thanks again! After red velvet, Tiramisu =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find the red velvet cake recipe I use here:
      http://bestcupcakerecipes.blogspot.com.au/2009/02/red-velvet-cupcake-recipe.html. Instead of the 2 oz. red food colouring, however, I only use 2 tablespoons.

      By the way, baking soda is not used for the ube cake. It's baking powder.

      Delete
  10. Thanks Corrine! =)

    ReplyDelete