Thursday, January 20, 2011

Disappointed

I wish I could have done a better job.  After all, this cake was for my eldest son. 

Francis turned 17 today.  I decided to make a basketball-themed cake for him since basketball is his favourite sport and it is the sport he plays.  Last year's one was an Orlando Magic cake.  This year, I wanted him to be the "star" of the cake. 

Basketball-themed birthday cake
That's him with the #6 jersey he wears for his local basketball club.

The gumpaste centerpiece was all right.  More than just all right in fact.  It wasn't the problem.  My problem was the chocolate frosting.  It was too soft and it curdled.  I am not sure if I didn't beat it enough or if I beat it too much. 

My idea was for the top of the cake to look like a basketball and the sides like a basketball ring (with net).  But because of difficulties with piping, I ended up making a mess and had to cover up my mistakes with stars. Not at all how I originally planned it.

Basketball-themed birthday cake
Sigh.

Oh well.  It still tasted good despite.  We still enjoyed it. 

Happy birthday, Francis!

4 comments:

  1. but it looks really beautiful, your piping is perfect, so neat, overall, it's a very nice cake Corrine. I'm sure your Francis wouldn't mind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it tasted delicious. Sometimes with Murphy's Law things happen. Your cakes still looks pretty even though it wasn't the original plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should not be disappointed! This cake looks fabulous!!! And I'm sure it was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it still turned out wonderfully! I love seeing your cake creations!

    ReplyDelete