Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Week-long of baking

I had a wonderful week of preparing four cakes.  It was surprising to receive one order after another and I consider that a great blessing.  Three of the cakes had chocolate chiffon bases but had varying fillings and frostings.

First one was for my husband's workmate's birthday.  This is the fourth cake their office has ordered from me within a few months.  I was told this was the best so far.  The hero in this cake is really the wonderful frosting. 

Chocolate chiffon with Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting and Filling

I learned how to fan the strawberry from the show Junior Masterchef!
Up next was another Ube Macapuno Cake.  This kind of cake is fast becoming my signature cake!  I have made this more times than any other cake in the recent months.

Instead of making a 9" round, 3-layered cake,  I made a 10" round, 2-layer one which was just as good.
Third cake was for my son's friend's 9th birthday.  The boy loves Pokemon, hence, the cake topper. I love this one because it is very clean and simple.  And of course, the Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream is so, so good.


Last cake, which I finished just today is frosted this time with Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  The one who ordered this requested for flower decorations and nut topping.  I used toasted macadamia nuts...I think I may have just overdone it a bit....let's just hope they like macadamia...


I moulded the gumpaste roses a few days ago.  They turned out quite well despite the fact that I opted not to use any flower cutters or forming tools.


Well, that's it for my cakes.  I hope to take a break from baking for a while unless another order comes in soon.  That is most welcome of course....

7 comments:

  1. HI Mary - wow, what great cakes. I predict these creations will quickly be followed by a tsunami of more orders! Just gorgeous. Regards, Alison (Buninyong, VIC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary those cakes look fanastic, if only I didnt live so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ! May I ask what size of the nozzle for piping did you use for the frosting in your ube cake?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bernadette,

    My piping tip is not branded and does not have a number on it but I would say it might be the same as the largest Ateco closed star decorating tip.
    It has a 10mm opening. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Can you pls post the recipe for the strawberry frosting? I'm thinking it's a bit like the cookies and cream frosting but replacing the crushed Oreo cookies with strawberry jam?

    Thank you and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the same whipped cream frosting. More like the one I used for the mango and cream cake. Just replace the mango with pureed strawberries.

    ReplyDelete