Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Project: My recipe journal

When it comes to my cooking, my kids are my biggest fans. Although I do not cook anything fancy, they nevertheless look forward to most meals because they know I would cook up something they would love to eat. And the dessert...that makes them even happier. One of the things I would want to pass on to them are, of course, the recipes. I would love for my children to learn to cook the food that they grew up with and be able to share them with their own families in the future.

For this reason, I have started an important project...my recipe journal. At the moment, the recipes I use are all over the place -- in cookbooks, computer printouts, handwritten notes, etc. My dream is to have a single compilation of my family's most loved recipes. It would include recipes that have been handed down to me as well by my own mother and my aunts.

I would like it to be very personal. It is certainly much easier to type up the recipes on the computer but I would rather have them handwritten. So when my children would read through the recipes, they would have memories not only of the food but of me.

Today, I bought myself a hardbound notebook and then I dressed it up with my fabric journal cover.
 

I purchased the fabrics from Spotlight a while back. You've seen glimpses of them in my patchwork zippered pouch but this recipe journal is a more suitable use for them.



I haven't started writing a recipe down yet. I have to do this with patience to make sure it will be a beautiful legacy. The first page I will be reserving as a dedication page so my kids will know that this was lovingly done for them.

Can't wait to get this project going.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a great idea. I have thought about doing something similar, but for me it would be more about trial and error and writing down what worked and didn't work, but haven't really set myself on the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely work and a great idea!
    I too have been meaning to make a couple of these for my kids, you may just have sparked an inspiration, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a great idea and your cover looks fabulous :) It will be wonderful for the kids and you know you have to do one for each child :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I adore that fabric! Do you happen to now the name/manufacturer of it? Such a sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megs,

    The fabrics are from the Kiss the Cook range of David Textiles, Inc. The main fabric is called "Chef Words" and the lining is called "Dots and Food". You can view their entire range at www.davidtextilesinc.com.

    Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. I am wanting to do similar. Have you sold any? Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sell the pattern for the journal cover, not the cover itself.

      Delete