Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Perfect Dinner Rolls

My eldest son had all of his 4 wisdom teeth surgically extracted last Saturday morning.  Except for the normal swelling, he seems to be really recovering very well.  Not a single complaint.

Francis is simply like that.  Very quiet, very much like me.  He just goes about his usual business.  He takes his medications by himself without being told.  He doesn't lie around all day expecting people to look after him. 

Being my first-born, I guess I will always worry about him.  I try not too though.  Afterall, he's 16! 

Yesterday, Francis seemed ready for a bit of chewing (but of course, I consulted him first). I cooked tuna casserole but cut his macaroni into little pieces to make it easier for him.  I also baked some dinner rolls.


Freshly baked bread is always very welcome in our home. Especially my dinner rolls. Just right out of the oven, they are super soft and almost melt in the mouth. My son just pinched off small pieces from his bread and it was a breeze to eat.

I found the original recipe here but I had altered it for KitchenAid use. Below is my version. Use whichever of the two recipes suit you! Enjoy!

Perfect Dinner Rolls


Ingredients:

6 - 6 1/2 cups bread flour
2 sachets (8g each) INSTANT dry yeast
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 t bread improver (optional)
1/2 cup warm water
1 1 /4 cups warm milk
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup melted butter

Put all the dry ingredients (first 5) in your mixing bowl and combine, with mixer on speed 2 only and using your dough hook. Add the wet ingredients one by one, mixing well after each addition. Let the mixer run for about 6 minutes or until your dough looks smooth and elastic.  Turn the dough into a lightly floured surface and knead just a little bit more.

Place your dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the whole surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough and again, turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 24 - 30 rolls (or up to 48 rolls if you want them smaller like me) and place in lightly greased baking pans. Cover and let rise again for about 30 minutes.

Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.

Store any leftovers in an airtight container and simply reheat in the oven for a few minutes to make the rolls soft again.

8 comments:

  1. You did a great job with these rolls. Looks so professional and delicious. I hope to try this recipe. Don't think I've ever made rolls from scratch, if so, it was a loooooong time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks so much for sharing these. Seeing that it's winter..and my first time, making bread... where do you keep it warm?

    I'd love to make it with some cheese in it.. would that be possible? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Su Kim,

    I'll teach you a trick...turn on your oven at 220 degrees C for one minute. Turn it off then pop in your covered mixing bowl (with the dough). When I need to let the dough rise for an hour, I usually repeat the process of warming the oven halfway (after 30 minutes). The dough will rise beautifully.

    Sometimes I do put bacon and grated cheese on top of my rolls. After the second proving, you can scatter your topping on top before baking.

    Good luck and happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW... thanks so much! That's a really neat tip, because it's quite cold in the house during day (trying to save money).

    I stumbled on your blog last night, and am loving all the things I see here. You're really crafty! I'm also hoping to sew a simple bag.. LOL.. I can barely sew a straight line on my son's knee patch..but, will try anyway!

    Thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for another great recipe. Can I use all purpose flour instead of bread flour? Will there be any difference in the outcome of the baked bread?

    ReplyDelete
  6. All purpose flour will do. Bread flour, however, results in bread with greater volume and better texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Corinne,

    Thanks for this recipe. I want to try this really soon, but may I know what is a Bread improver and what does it do to the bread or rolls?

    Thanks,
    Gem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread improvers contain natural ingredients that help in the kneading and fermentation process. It gives bread better volume and texture. It helps but is not absolutely necessary.

      Delete