Monday, April 19, 2010

Of baking and sewing

I had a super busy Saturday preparing 48 cupcakes for the baptism I mentioned in my last post.  The baby's mother chose red velvet and this of course delighted me because I have somehow mastered baking this particular kind of cupcake.  I had concerns about the cream cheese frosting though since it was quite a warm day. The frosting turned out softer than usual and I had difficulty piping it out in swirls. Thankfully, the finished cupcakes were adorable anyway.






Isabella Rose.  A lovely name, don't you think?

I have a huge cake/cupcake order coming up in a couple of weeks.  It's making me a little anxious cause I am doing this all by myself.  I hope I will be able to handle it. 

Here are a couple more cupcakes I baked in the past month.

Carrot Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting.  Made for a friend's birthday.  This is super yummy and now one of my favourites!

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling and Seven Minute Frosting.  Baked for a family friend on Easter.  Was particularly excited about this one since it was the first time I used my kitchen torch to slightly toast the meringue.

Both carrot and lemon cupcake recipes were from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book.

Well, that's about it for now.  I am hoping to do a bit of sewing this week (finally!).  My KitchenAid mixer is needing a nice cover badly (I have been covering it with a pillowcase ever since I got it!).  My Etsy shop has also been doing very well these past weeks (thank you, Etsy buyers!) and I am thinking I should come up with a new sewing pattern/eBook very soon.  Do you have any ideas or suggestions for something useful I can make a pattern on?

Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. It just occured to me that it had been awhile since I stopped by to say hi... I'm still reading and enjoying your blog... Keep up the awesomness... and send some of those cupcakes my way.. they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cupcakes look adorable ! I actually have a question for you. I'm baking up an order of cupcakes and need to transport them 2 hours. My question is, do you usually make/decorate your cupcakes a day in advance and refrigerate them or not? Time can be a pain :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amanda,

    I bake my cupcakes a day in advance because I do not want to panic on the day they are needed. Yes, I do refrigerate since I am always paranoid about my frosting getting too soft. I always recommend though that the cakes be served at room temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at a cupcake site in Canberra recently, and read a cupcake book in a book fundraiser. I think yours are as good as the professional site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi corinne!

    How did you make the letters from royal icing, I'm clueless about this as I've never worked with it before. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I printed out the letters from the computer then placed the printout under baking paper. I used royal icing to outline each letter then thinner royal icing to fill them in.

      I don't do this technique anymore. Cutting out letters from fondant is much easier.

      Delete
  6. Do you use the recipe with meringue powder or just egg whites and does it just taste like hard candy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggwhites. Tastes like sugar and it's not too hard. It's delicate and quite brittle.

      Delete