Thursday, January 7, 2010

One beautiful, sloppy mess

What usually happens when you get yourself into something that's way out of your league?

A disaster.

I baked an Ube (Purple Yam) Chiffon Cake today. Some of you might find the idea of a cake like this a little weird.  This is in fact widely popular in the Philippines and it's one of my personal favourites.  I have actually been dreaming of making one for a very long time.  

It started out as a simple plan in my head...to bake a soft, light chiffon cake that will be cleanly frosted with whipped cream.   I had told you time and again that I was no good at cake decorating so really, I had to keep it plain.

After baking the cake, things started to go differently though.  One change came after another.  First of all, I had extra grated purple yam left so I thought, why not make a cake filling out of it? 

I decided against cutting the cake in half afterwards.  That filling eventually became the cake border.  But the problem was that it was a bit runny...I figured it would be best to just spread it out like a topping.  That topping eventually became a part of the frosting. 

I am not going to pretend that I knew what I was doing. Really, I had no idea.  What I was left at that point was one big, sloppy mess of a cake.

But I wasn't about to give up.  I had to go by my instincts and turn this disaster around with my creativity.

I played with the frosting a bit more until I was finally satisfied.

So here it is...my birthday cake. 


I suppose it didn't turn out to be a disaster after all.

It's my birthday today, by the way.


PS. We'll eat this later...if it turns out as yummy as I am imagining it to be, I might even share the recipe....

UPDATE: We just ate the cake... 



It is absolutely lovely!

10 comments:

  1. Wow...that is some gorgeous birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful cake! And a great story to go along with it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

    Purse Stuff - Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! A beautiful result. Looks like your hard work paid off. That shade of purple, I'd find it weird to eat. I'm funny like that when it comes to food. It needs to be specific colours or it feels wrong. :p Glad you guys enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS it looks fabulous!! Like something Willy Wonka would make! I have no idea what a yam is though (not big on my little side of the world)... Hope you had a wonderful day full of suprises and love - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it taste like cake or bread? My little girl LOVES purple! How fun it would be to make purple cupcakes like this for her birthday. Please do share the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disaster??? I don't think so! Your cake is gorgeous! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday for last week!

    Just found your blog, from you craftster posts, love the colours you use in your bakin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi. I love ube caaaaakkkkeeee! do u mind share the recipe pls? I would like to bake this for my hubby on his birthday!!! Thanks in advance! Marilou make0916@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...WOW...WOW!
    I think this cake is the most beautiful I've seen in my life.
    I would this one on my next birthday...
    You are very talented.
    God bless you ever!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. can i please have the recipe? how to do the ube crumbs? grethelanne2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete