Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Creamy Chicken with Potatoes, Leeks and Mushrooms

I did it again. Just as I thought I had dinner planned out, I suddenly discovered I had failed to buy an important ingredient. That happened to me last week...and then again, last night. So I had to improvise and make use of whatever I had. My kids love white sauce so this is what I came up with quickly. I suppose it was pretty good as there were no leftovers.

Creamy Chicken with Potatoes, Leeks and Mushrooms


Ingredients:
500g chicken breasts, cubed
salt and pepper
1 piece kabana or any sausage you prefer, sliced diagonally
2 tablespoons butter
1 can whole button mushrooms, drained
1 large leek, trimmed and chopped
2 teaspoons chicken powder (optional)
2 tablespoons flour
3 small potatoes, cubed
2 cups fresh milk

Procedure:
Season chicken with salt and pepper (estimate amount but do not put too much). Leave for a few minutes. Melt butter in a large pan. Toss chicken cubes and cook till brown. Add kabana slices and stir-fry for about a minute. Add mushrooms and leeks. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Season with chicken powder. Stir in flour. Add milk and potatoes. Bring
to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potato is cooked.

That was easy, wasn't it? Serve with steamed rice.

1 comment: