Monday, April 21, 2008

Going Italian with this Creamy Pesto Gnocchi

About a week ago, I purchased the latest issue of Super Food Ideas (Australia's No.1 food magazine). The magazine costs a mere $2 and it is loaded with 98 pages of recipes and cooking tips. The moment I laid eyes on this photo (on the left), I instantly thought I just had to try this out. The dish is called 'Creamy Pesto Gnocchi'.

In case you didn't know, gnocchi is Italian in origin and is a dish of little dumplings made from potatoes. The dumplings are shaped like little footballs and have a texture similar to pasta.

And so last night was THE night I prepared this. My family absolutely loved it! One of my sons loved it so much he even suggested that next
time I cook this, I should double the recipe.


This is my version....


And here is the recipe (courtesy of Super Food Ideas magazine)! Enjoy!

Creamy Pesto Gnocchi

Serves 4
Ingredients:
500g fresh potato gnocchi
1 cup light thickened cream
1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
150g chargrilled capsicum, finely chopped
150g baby spinach
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Procedure:
1. Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add cream and pesto. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add capsicum and spinach. Cook for 1 minute or until spinach has just wilted.
3. Add gnocchi to cream mixture. Toss to combine. Transfer to a greased 6cm-deep, 8 cup-capacity baking dish. Top with cheese. Cook under grill for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.


1 comment:

  1. Mmm thanks for posting this, I saw it on craftster and wanted to check it out - I moved to America and I miss SFI!

    ReplyDelete